This article is going to explain to you how you can buy Kenya Power tokens using Bonga Points on your Safaricom line.
Times are currently hard, aren’t they? Well, your beloved mobile phone service operator Safaricom, says it is endeavoring to make things a little easier for you. Some of those endeavors include:
- You can now send up to Ksh. 1,000 via M-Pesa to another person free of the transaction fee charges
- You can send and receive money from your M-Pesa account to your bank account free of charge
- There are education data bundles that allow you to access educational materials from certain learning institutions at subsidized costs
- Then there is the ‘Maria-package’, which allows you to watch your favorite shows aired on local TV stations at subsidized mobile data bundles.
How to Buy Kenya Power Tokens using Bonga Points
Yesterday, July 24, Safaricom made an announcement that it had reached an arrangement with Kenya’s monopoly electricity distributor Kenya Power. In that arrangement, domestic electricity consumers connected to the national grid and using the prepaid service can now buy tokens using their bonga points.
Yes, you read that right. You can now use your Safaricom bonga points to buy your Kenya Power tokens. All you have to do is follow the steps below:
- On your Safaricom line, dial *126#
- Select the ‘Lipa na Bonga points’ option
- Select ‘Pay Bill’
- Enter the Kenya Power prepaid business number ‘888880’
- Enter your Kenya Power meter number
- Now enter the token amount you wish to purchase
- Confirm the details and key in your service PIN to effect the payment
You should now receive an SMS notification from Kenya Power with your tokens; paid for using Bonga Points. Also, you can confirm how many bonga points you will need to pay for the tokens by dialing *126# > Lipa Na Bonga > Bonga Calculator. At which point, you can input the amount you would like to pay for the Kenya Power tokens, and you will get a response showing you the amount of bonga points it will require.
PS – Post-paid customers too can pay their Kenya Power monthly bills using bonga points. Instead of the ‘888880’ business number in the explanation above, instead key in ‘888888.’